ELIGIBILITY: To compete for a spot on the 2014 Philly Youth Slam Team, participants:
- Must be a resident of Philadelphia, or a surrounding suburban county in Pennsylvania (Delaware County, Montgomery County, Chester County, Bucks County, Camden County, Gloucester County) for at least two years prior to the first qualifying slam in September.
- Must be between the ages of 13 and 19 years old. Cannot turn 20 before July 19, 2014.
- Cannot have been a previous member of the Philly Youth Slam Team for two years.
- Minimum 2.7 cumulative GPA
- Must be available and have permission to travel to various Regional Slams as well as the Brave New Voices Youth Poetry Slam Festival (dates TBD).
Slams consist of two rounds where each teen performs 1 original poem per round (no props or musical instruments!). The time limit for the performance is 3 minutes and 30 seconds (with a 10 second grace period). After 3:40min, points will be deducted from your score.
First-round will consist of all 20 participants, the second-round will consist of the top 5 scoring poets from the first round.
HOW TO PARTICIPATE IN A SLAM:
STEP 1) Register: All participants are required to register for the slam season. You only need to do this once. Registration must be done before the Youth Poetry Night Open Mic & Poetry Slam events. Registration is OPEN: Click here to register.
STEP 2) SIGN-UP: After registration, you must also sign-up each month for that slam. The sign-up sheet will open the week of the slam on that Monday at 7PM (i.e if Youth Night is on Oct. 19, sign-up opens on Monday, Oct. 14). It will be available on the PYPM homepage. The first 20 participants to sign-up will be on the list, everyone else will be put on a wait list.
STEP 3) CHECK-IN: Youth who have signed-up for the slam, must check-in at the slam by 6PM sharp. If you arrive to the slam after 6PM your spot will be given to someone on the waiting list. We strongly encourage you to arrive EARLY.
OPEN MIC SIGN-UP:
Youth who want to perform during the open mic do not have to register, and can sign-up at The Rotunda. Please arrive promptly at 5:45PM to sign-up.
Questions? Problems signing-up? Email Vision at [email protected]
Each Registered Participant will receive points that accumulate during the course of the Slam Season from September 2012 through February 2013 as follows:
- First Place = 3 points
- Second – Fifth Place = 2 points
- Slam Participation = 1 point
- PYPM Workshop Attendance* = .5 point (with a 2 point cap)
- PYPM Community Service Projects = .5 point (with a 2 point cap)
*Workshop points require attendance for the entire workshop; Sign in required one-site
The Participants with the top 18 highest accumulative points from the season will proceed to the Semi-Finals in March 2014. (The top 3 ranking participants receive automatic advancement to Slam Finals. 15 poets will compete in Semi-Finals.)
10 Finalists will compete in the Finals in April 2014, and 6 members will be selected for the 2014 Philly Youth Slam Team.
SLAM SEASON SCHEDULE
All slams are scheduled on the 3rd Saturday of the month at 6 p.m. at The Rotunda.
Any changes to the schedule or location will be posted at www.pypm215.org.
Saturday, September 21, 2013 (IMPORTANT: This slam will NOT be held at The Rotunda. Location To Be Announced).
Saturday, October 19, 2013
Saturday, November 16, 2013
Saturday, December 21, 2013
Saturday, January 18, 2014
Saturday, February 15, 2014
Saturday, March, 15, 2014
April – TBD