PYPM Featured on CNN’s Black in America Documentary! PYPM was featured in the latest installment of the CNN Black in […]
Message from the Executive Director. The Philly Youth Poetry Movement (PYPM) is a volunteer-run, 501(c)(3) non-profit organization that provides a […]
Over the last several years, PYPM has grown into one of the most respected youth poetry organizations in the country […]
Support the Philly Youth Poetry Movement by becoming a sponsor in our Membership program. Purchasing an annual membership entitles you to […]
Over the last several years, PYPM has grown into one of the most respected youth poetry organizations in the country and the only serving Pennsylvania. Currently, we offer the following:
- FREE Writing and Performance Workshops
- Monthly Youth Night Open Mic & Poetry Slam
- National & Local Performance Opportunities (including Brave New Voices International Youth Poetry Festival)
- Slam League for Philadelphia-area high schools
- Annual Dream Big Literary Arts Festival
- Opportunities for Travel & Community Service
- Youth Mentoring & Life Skills Coaching
- PYPM at Your Site: Performances, Workshop Residencies, Assemblies, and Professional Development
What is the Philly Youth Poetry Movement?
The Philly Youth Poetry Movement (PYPM) is a volunteer-run, 501(c)(3) non-profit organization that provides a safe space for Philadelphia teens to discover the power of their voices through spoken word and literary expression. PYPM was founded in 2006 at a time when there were no local poetry events dedicated to youth poets who wanted to write and perform. As the only youth poetry organization in the city, PYPM offers literary arts education programs and mentoring to youth ages 13-19 that promote creative expression, critical literacy, life skills, and leadership. We believe that when youth take ownership of their voices, they take ownership over themselves. Through free weekly workshops, monthly slams, national/local performance opportunities, mentoring and community service, we provide a space where youth use their voices to bring about both personal and social transformation.